internet marketing The Big Sis Diaries: Truly a Day to Celebrate!

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Truly a Day to Celebrate!

Today is, of course, Independence Day (which we, very un-patriotically, never celebrate, since we're always in Europe this time of year), our first full day home as a family of six, and Carsten's 8th birthday. When I turned 8, in August 1999, I had very recently become the big sister of my second sibling. Now, that very same second sibling has recently become a first-time big brother on his eighth birthday! Although we're not really celebrating his birthday today, since he already had his birthday party with friends before our trip and since we're not physically or mentally prepared for a big celebration today (not to mention that we don't have most of presents due to the time-consuming adoption/travel preparations- yikes!) he understands that his biggest and by far best present is a living, breathing, laughing, screaming baby sister. She wasn't, of course, a true birthday present, but he loves to brag about the fact that he's the first person in our family to have Sasha home on his birthday :-).

Speaking of Sasha, I know that there's so much to post about- and I will. Today, however, is not the best day. Earlier this morning, I downloaded pictures and wrote a long post about our trip, and it somehow got deleted. At that point, I was so frustrated that I gave up. I'm also, for the second time in the past two weeks, sick (if you can really count it as two separate illnesses- to me, it's felt like one long sickness that's spanned our whole trip.) You see, Carsten and I both got really terrible stomach bugs in Dubai on the way to Addis- we hadn't been careful about what we were eating, thinking that unlike Ethiopia, the food there would be safe. My mom and dad soon both got it- only Kristian escaped it, earning him the nickname "Guts of Steel." Even after it was gone, none of us had much appetite and I'm pretty sure we all lost weight (Carsten weighed himself this morning and he was six pounds lighter.) Sasha was also sick when we got her; she had conjunctivitis (sp?) in both eyes and both of her ears were infected, adding to a terrible cold. I now think I have her conjunctivitis, though I'm in denial because I hate putting the drops in my eyes. I also have a cold and a fever now; I'm sure I picked it up at AHOPE, since so many of the kids there were sick. Anyway, all of this is a long way of saying that I'm not totally up for filling up pages upon pages of reflections of our trip. Despite illness, it truly was great overall, and Sasha is too amazing to put into words. I'm sure I'll have to try though ;-).

I'd appreciate it if everyone will not start throwing things at me for holding off for a day. I know it will be difficult to refrain from doing so.

10 Comments:

At 5:09 PM , Blogger Lexie said...

Hey!!! Happy Birthday to your brother!!! And I am sooo sorry that you are sick!! That is so not fuN!!!!
I understand...we can wait another daY! haha. Esspecially since just this morning a whole post deleated! ITs TOTALLY understandable!!!!
Have a GREAT 4th!!
Lexie

 
At 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Carsten from Henry and all of us! And welcome home to Sasha and all of you. So exciting. I have tears in my eyes now from reading your last 2 posts. I can't wait to read more. Tell your mom I'm thinking about her but will hold off from calling for a while...! :)
Love,
Sara Osborn

 
At 12:47 AM , Blogger KelseyChristine said...

Welcome Home!! I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy you're all home safe. Also, happy to hear your sister is bonding well with you all. Can't wait to hear more. I'll pray for your quick recovery.
T & K's mom

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

Okay, okay. I will try not to throw anythingat you :-D I am just glad to hear you are home and safe (although that is too bad about being sick) and that the trip and your sis is everything you imagined it would be. Can't wait to hear more :D... enjoy these first few days with Sasha!
-Nikki

 
At 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home to the entire family, and Happy Birthday Carston. Get well and enjoy getting to know Sasha and having her get to know you and her new world. We do want to hear more about your adventure and her joining you as a family so we are glad you captured the events and will be sharing later.
Sharon, Andy, Kathleen and Michelle

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Mary, Jason, & Maya said...

We were all sick when we came home from China. I didn't post for a few weeks because I was so tired, so I completely understand. I hope you all get to feeling better soon. Rest, relax and enjoy your familiy.
Mary

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Welcome home! oh, and Happy Birthday to your brother! :D
We really do have so much in common, like you said.. its too bad we live so far apart! :(
My birthday is on the 10th.. so close to yours! I can't wait to see more pictures of your little sister and you together! She is so adorable! yes, my dream is to go back to Africa and teach, and that would be realyl cool if we ended up teaching together! :P Uganda was amazing.. I actually met a little girl there who I came back home, and started sponsoring! The people are so great.. just like everywhere in Africa, I've heard! And I loved the people in Ethiopia!
Thanks for commenting, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog. :D
~Erin~
http://erins-ethiopia-trip.blogspot.com

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Happy birthday to your brother! Sorry you are not feeling 100%. Hope you feel better soon. Can't wait to see pictures of Sasha!

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

I hope you feel AMAZINGLY better soon! Can't wait to see pics of the post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Make an on-line slide show at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com