internet marketing The Big Sis Diaries: Anyone else feel this way?

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Anyone else feel this way?

I know I posted something very similar to this yesterday on the CHSFS forum, so I'm sorry if some of you are reading for the second time, but I'm interested to hear responses and reassurances (if you have any!)

I know that my situation is different since I am a high school student and the child my family is adopting is my sibling (aside from Kelsey at http://www.afamilyoften.blogspot.com, of course!) but I was wondering if anyone else experienced similar feelings after receiving their referral. Ever since the post-referral shock wore off a few weeks ago, I've been finding myself "forgetting" that I have a baby sister in Ethiopia. This is in sharp contrast to when my family was in the beginning stages of adoption (I would talk/think about the fact that I would have a new younger sibling constantly!) I understand that it could be because of the typical high-schooler thoughts costantly on my mind- schoolwork, activities, friends, etc.- or the fact that finally being in the phase of NOT waiting for a referral is surreal. Yet I feel guilty. I talk about our adoption very often with my friends, who are always bombarding me with questions about what we've decided to name her, have we bought anything yet, etc.- but these conversations are detached from my sister herself. I feel badly that I don't think more about her, even though I know that everything will change when I see her for the first time. It would just help for me to know that I'm not alone in my guilt!

4 Comments:

At 11:12 PM , Blogger Heather said...

I had trouble getting myself to believe I had a son until after I met him. I even waited until the last minute to decorate his room. I was excited but also nervous about admitting it was "real." Don't feel guilty about it. We all have trouble imagining major life changes that we can't see now. Just know that she will feel like your sister after you meet her.

 
At 5:40 PM , Blogger KelseyChristine said...

Don't feel guilty at all! It's hard to feel completely connected to someone before you meet them...once she's here it will be totally different :)

I can't wait to hear that you got a travel date!

 
At 6:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah, did you know we're in CT too. That's cool. Please don't feel guilty about not feeling as connected to your sister. Its completely understandable. My guess is once she's with your family you'll have a hard time remembering there was a time without her. Fingers crossed for travel date.
Thanks for check out my blog. Nemo & Nema's mom

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Jewels of My Heart said...

No guilt! It most definately feels sureel and it is such an emotional journey there is nothing wrong with you taking time to enjoy your life and friends and just be a teenager.... no doubt you love your sister so there is no need for guilt.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Make an on-line slide show at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com