internet marketing The Big Sis Diaries: "Booing"

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"Booing"


So it' now Halloween time- and like I said in my "100 Things About Me part 1", it's one of my favorite holidays. I personally love it because I like anything scary (but not actually dangerous) and I love the idea of just going up to strangers' houses and demanding candy. My dad, however, is obsessed- understandably, since he grew up in Norway and they didn't have Halloween there (as we like to say to people who ask, he's "making up for lost time.") In October, he turns our house and yard into an elaborate haunted house, dresses up, and takes us to every imaginable haunted/scary Halloween event. But to give you an idea of how much he loves Halloween, get this: he plays Halloween music in May.

Anyway, this year, at the ripe age of fifteen, I've been told that I'm getting kind of old (the only case in which fifteen can really be called "old") to trick-or-treat. I'm saying this is my official last year, but next year I'll just say I'm "taking the baby out." Halloween is one of the most fun nights of the year- how can you miss out? I'm thinking I'll be Santa Claus, since I like to be different. Also, it will remind parents answering doors to get cracking on holiday shopping.

One thing we have in our New England neighboorhood is something called "booing." There was a little bit of it in Massachusetts, where we lived before, but there's definetely more of it here. This year, we got booed by the four girls who live across from us. If you don't know what "booing" is, it's essentially that someone leaves something- candy, halloween stickers, small things like that- on your doorstep, rings the doorbell, and run away. They also leave a sign that says, "You've Been Booed- Find Out Who We Are on Halloween Night." I think the idea is adorable, but I don't know if booing is a concept just in New England or in other places too.

Has anyone else been "booed" or had something similar to that done to them? (By the way, in the picture, that's a fog machine and a strobe light you see in the background.)

3 Comments:

At 3:49 AM , Blogger smiliesar said...

I like the "Booing" idea. I may have to try that out on someone! Thanks.

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

Hi Susy Q.

Never heard of "booing." Sounds cute though.

I'm not big on the Halloween holiday. (much to my kids chagrine.) I suppose you could blame my mom for that. While your dad loves Halloween, my mom really really didn't, so your dad instilled in you a love for the holiday and my mom instilled, well - not love -for it in me. Sounds like you all have fun with it. Our family celebrates All Saints Day instead.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, How terrific that your family is adopting from Ethiopia as well! I'm excited for you. You sound like you'll be an incredible big sis! I'll bookmark your blog so I can read all about your referral, trip, etc. when that all happens.

We're still in the waiting phase of things. Honestly, I'm a bit impatient.

Email me (jubys1mom@yahoo.com) and I'll connect you with Sweetanlo & Rummy, my daughters. (14 & almost 12) You all can exchange adoption stories.

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger KelseyChristine said...

I've never heard of booing either!

I remember being told I was too old to go trick-or-treating...I think my last year was 7th or 8th grade. Halloween loses all of its magic when that happens! But last year when I couldn't even hang out with my friends on Halloween (I had Mono), I took Aaron out for a little bit. Since he was a baby, guess who got the candy?? ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Make an on-line slide show at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com