internet marketing The Big Sis Diaries: SABA- Susanna's Africa Book Awards

Monday, September 11, 2006

SABA- Susanna's Africa Book Awards

Since I have very little homework today (to give you an idea of how rare this is, think about the frequency of a solar eclipse) I have decided to use my free time to compile a list of must-read books.

Ever since my family started preparing for our trip to Kenya (December 2004) I have had a mild obsession with books about Africa. Since we are adopting a child from this continent, it is not far-fetched to say that my craving for these stories is all the more prevalent. So here are a few that I have either read or plan to read in the future:

The Flame Trees of Thika- Elspeth Huxley
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight- Alexandra Fuller
The No. 1 Lady's Detective Agency series- Alexander McCall Smith
Things Fall Apart- Chinua Achebe (I'm reading this one now and so far it's great!)
Born Free- Joy Adamson
Out of Africa- Karen Blixen
My Life With the Chimpanzees- Jane Goodall

I know that there are many more enthralling Africa stories out there I have yet to discover. Please, any suggestions will be much welcomed!

5 Comments:

At 11:47 PM , Blogger 5KidMom said...

Have you read "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton? The book is outstanding, and the movie isn't too bad either.

Also, a brand new book that is out called "There is No Me Without You" by Melissa Fay Greene. Not only is she a great author, but also an adoptive Mom through our agency. Check out this link.

www.thereisnomewithoutyou.com

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger Susy Q said...

Thanks! I'm definetely going to keep those in mind when I'm looking for a new book. "There is No Me Without You" I heard was especially terrific.

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger jayme said...

Hello,

I love your blog - It's so nice to hear the perspective of an older sister!

I have a couple of books on my list right now, but I haven't had the time to read either of them. One is called "Chameleon Days" about an american boy who grew up in Ethiopia.

The other is "My Father's Daughter" about a young woman who was adopted from Eritrea as a child and eventually goes back to find members of her first family.

 
At 5:49 PM , Blogger Susy Q said...

Thank you- for complimenting my blog and for the book suggestions. The books sounded really interesting, especially the second one you mentioned. At this rate, I'm sure it will be a while until I have to ask for suggestions again!

 
At 4:41 AM , Blogger Blondie said...

Hi Susy Q,

Just stumbled on your blog tonight and thought I would add some suggestions on specific Ethiopian books I have read:

"In Ethiopia with a Mule" by Dervla Murphy - a travelogue about one woman's journey through Ethiopia in the 1960s. I couldn't put it down.

"Notes from the Hyena's belly" by Nega Mezlekia - a wonderfully written story of Nega's life in Ethiopia. I have only just started but I love it already.

Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Make an on-line slide show at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com